Feb 22, 2010

colorful cultural friday








I traveled with the Batahola Norte Cultural Center choir, orchestra and dance group to Nagarote on Friday for a cultural presentation. The setting was a discoteque that has been set up in an auditorium. It was a nice big space with great sound and flashy lighting. I fell in love with the movement and colors of the folkloric dancers.

Afterwards we were treated to quesillo and tiste. Nagarote is a small town famous for it's quesillo. It's basically mozarella cheese and cream wrapped in a tortilla eaten out of a plastic bag. The proper technique is to bite the corner of the bag off and pull the tortilla out through the hole with your lips. Fun stuff. Tiste is a drink made of ground up cacau, corn, cinnamon and other spices that is mixed with water.

I should also mention that there's a cool photo literacy project going on in Nagarote called NicaPhoto that inspired the BioPoems assignment in my photo class.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Dave. And am happy to hear of your neat experiences in Nicaragua. I love the photos and descriptions of the special foods.

    ReplyDelete