Jan 27, 2010

The "ch" project


CHOCOYO (Pacific parakeet. These are our pets. My host sister Norma is in the background and my friend Henry is holding them on his finger.)


CHICHICASTE (prickly caterpillar. People can also be called a "chichicaste" when they are angry. I found this one on my mosquito net one night.)

It's been about a month since my last posting and so it's time to give some updates. I'm going to start off with a new creative project called The "ch" project. I love words that have the "ch" sound in them. I just think they are so fun to say and I use them as often as possible when I am speaking Spanish (and English!). If you know me well, I've probably called you a "chauncey" at some point.

One of the things I love about Nicaragua is that they use TONS of words with the "ch" sound in them, and I think some of them are only used here so they are Nica words which makes them even more special and unique. For example, one of the most simple is "chunche" which is the word for thing. This word is great because you can use it for basically anything and it has 2 "ch" sounds in it!!!

I'm going to periodically post some "ch" words along with photos so I can help you learn a bit more about Nicaragua and learn some of the lingo here. Hope you enjoy the first two images!

3 comments:

  1. Weird, wrote a a comment yesterday, and now it is gone!

    Anyways, i just wanted to tell you that i love thhe project idea, 'you go girl!'

    love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea ! I also like all the ch words you mentioned and use. Am looking forward to learning more. - Carol

    ReplyDelete