May 4, 2010

a dress in the making (part II)

Finding the fabric

the ribbon shop...can you spot the fuchsia one?

i discovered i have my own underwear line!

the final purchases with my tired head lying on the table. i know it's a weird photo, but i am weird so it works :) I originally wanted a teal dress with red ribbon accents, but there was no teal fabric so I went with this combo instead.

It was a hot one (96 degrees) as Patricia and I geared up to head to the largest market in Central America, "El Oriental". Markets are an adventurous experience here, especially trying to navigate one as large and chaotic as the Oriental. We took off all our jewelry and I shoved my camera into the front of my pants, tying the chord around my belt loop so it wouldn't slip down my leg. I also stuffed 350 cordobas (about $17) into my bra where no ladron (thief) should dare to grab. The Oriental can be quite dangerous and is known for thieves so any time I go there I'm told I shouldn't carry or wear anything of value.

We bought the fabric first, all 8 yards of sea green for the full skirt, top and slip, along with a yard or two of "can can", the netting that is sewn along the bottom of the skirt to give it fullness and oomph. The total cost was 141 cordobas ($7). And just so you know, 20 cordobas = $1.

After that Patricia led me deeper into the market's narrow winding puddled alleyways until we came to a nook that sells ribbon of all kinds. I bought a roll of fuchsia pink which cost me 50 cordobas ($2.50).

As we headed out we stopped by an underwear stand where Patricia decided to buy some bras. It just so happened that my new line of underwear was on display! (see photo). Continuing with the underwear theme, when we got back to Patricia's car there were three tiny pairs of kid's underwear hanging out to dry on her roof rack. They belonged to the parking officer's baby son who was being held by his wife nearby. I am curious how much the young man earns each day to park cars in the hot sun in a crazy market like that. And I am just another gringa passing by, going back to an air-conditioned teacher's lounge to admire, show-off and report on my dress in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment