Feb 10, 2010

chapas





"ch" word of the week is CHAPAS, or earrings, also known as "aretes" in Spanish. Chapas are one of my favorite accessories. I love to make them, wear them, smell them, touch them, paint them, gift them, recycle them, etc. etc. I feel naked if I leave the house without a pair dangling from my ears. If you want to give me a gift or make my day you can never go wrong with a pair of chapas :)

The first pair you see featured here are made from a coke can, created by my coworker Amanda. The hearts were created by me for Valentine's Day and the others were created by Sarita and her mom Maria, who I meet with once a week to make jewelry. Soda can earrings are my new fad/fascination. One of my favorite memories at the cultural center was the day I showed up to participate in the jewelry making class (I arrived over an hour late) and I found 25 women waiting for ME to teach them. I was delighted to see they each brought in a soda can, since word had gotten around, and so they got creative with their scissors and made some awesome earrings!

1 comment:

  1. i really like your valentines chapas, esp the way you got the can's design to work with the heart shape. wee!

    ReplyDelete